For my research article I would like to investigate:
- The top five different nursing careers that interest me the most and compare them. This would help me explore different fields that I may work in one day and help readers compare the differences between what certain nurses do. I think it will be challenging to limit the amount that I incorporate my own opinions in the article. This will include health, science and psychology disciplines.
- The benefits of a medical career in the Army. This will help me understand what it is like to serve your country and also have a healthcare career. It will be challenging to investigate specific stories because a lot of military work is kept within the military. This will include health and history.
- How technology has impacted the mental health of children. This is a very important controversy in our society today. Many people will be able to connect with this topic. It will be challenging to ensure that statistics and findings that I uncover are reliable and true. This will include technology and psychology.
- Using food as medicine. This will help me identify the importance of good nutrition and how it can help certain people. It will be challenging to narrow down what population I want to research most. This will incorporate nutrition, pharmaceuticals, and maybe even sociology.
- How can we help areas of poverty receive medical attention. This will uncover methods of helping those in need. It will be challenging to find ways to battle poverty and fund these healthcare efforts. This will cover health, sociology, and science.
For my applied project I would like to:
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter and create a blog that anonymously tells the stories of the people I meet. I am very interested in learning about the homeless population and how we can help them build a new life. The biggest challenge with this might be confidentiality of the people I work with.
- Work with Stamping Out Stigma and create a fundraising plan of my own to raise money for mental health awareness. I have a strong interest in mental illness and was an active member of this organization last year. I think getting the plan approved would present a challenge.
- Create a volunteer program on campus that brings college students in to visit either elderly or veterans. The elderly population is continuing to grow and there is a strong need for veteran efforts in our country. I think building a large enough group that cares about this population would be the hardest part.
- Run a health fair for children at PSU. Teaching children about their health and building connections with our community would be great for the university. The hardest part of this project would be fundraising.
- Start a wellness program at ALLWell North that incorporates people of all capabilities. There is a large population of people that need help adjusting their lifestyle to be healthier and more active. I think the biggest challenge for this project would be organizing a time that works best for the members and the facility.